Loving Our LIfe

Loving Our LIfe

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Parenting Question

My child has started to refuse to take naps. He is 17 months old so I am sure he still needs them. Not to mention he doesn't go to bed until 10pm and he wakes up around 8am. It started Sunday when we had him skip his nap because we had church from 1-4. Any suggestions??? I really count on naptime to get things done. Is this normal? Any help is greatly appreciated!

11 comments:

Karen and Mike said...

Sorry Marcie, I'm in the same predicament with Nate. It's either sleeping through the night or napping schedule. I need him to take naps. I think the naps are more for me than for him.

mamapickle said...

My Phoebe stopped her naps at 18 months. It is soo hard when that happens, but bed time comes earlier then. Hopefully it is just a little phase. With Ethen I had to lay down with him til he fell asleep, I did that for a long time.(but I wouldn't say that is the best option)

Alana, Brian, Hailey & Dakota said...

Wow, 10 hours at night sounds great! I thought all kids wake up at 5 or 6. I'll pray for a Liam. Well, one who wants a nap too.

Summer said...

Force. No really Maci went through that stage at about 18 months and I just had to deal with long fights before naptime. But it bought me 10 more months of naps which was worth it!!! Good luck!

The Little's said...

I wonder if my kids just Looove to sleep?! Ekena is almost 3 and still depends on it. If she refuses, we do a little thing called "quiet time." I let her sit with some books or color or do puzzles and she usually gets so bored that she falls asleep. With William, if he refuses, I just make him do his "quiet time" in his crib with some quiet toys, books, etc. Maybe try that. If it doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. Chain him to the fence and go take a nap.

Rachel said...

Found your blog through the Bell's. Fun to see what you're up to. Ella did the same thing with the nap thing at 17 months, and I was worried she was done with naps. It all started with Sunday church schedule too. But we pushed through and a few weeks later she was back to normal. Not much, 1 hour and 20 minutes, but I'll take that over no nap at all. I think she was just too tired to actually fall asleep.

Ali said...

Braden went through a phase like this around the same age. It did pass thankfully. But, maybe it's teething? Don't worry, this too shall pass....let's hope!

grandpa and grandma Wells said...

If you need "your" nap time the best thing is to bring him to Gramps to babysit while you get your rest.....

Phil and Tiff said...

Go check out the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" from the library. It will suggest putting him down around seven and waking him up around 6:45 then putting him back down for a nap around 1. It seems to be a stage they go through and you jave to fight thru it. Good luck!

Nate P said...

I suggest letting josh out of church for the last 2 hrs to nap with him he's napping anyways isnt he.

Brandon and Erica said...

Hey Marcie!
So glad your blog isn't private :-).
I found your blog from Nora/Maria (Nielsen).
Your little boy is adorable! I hope your pregnancy is going well!

Our Vacay

Turn Off the Music at the Bottom, Enjoy!