Start out telling a little about ourselves.
Marcie is From Colorado, Josh from Wyoming. I transferred to UVSC from UNC my
forth year in school. Josh was finishing up his senior year at BYU. 3 children
The Atonement has
brought Happiness to my life, as I pondered this I realized it has brought much
more to my life then just happiness. The atonement has brought peace to my
life, the atonement has brought forgiveness, the atonement has brought healing,
the atonement has brought comfort, the atonement has given me strength, the
atonement has given me patience, the atonement has brought purpose to my life.
I want you all to know that I have a testimony of the atonement. Because of the
atonement I am standing here today. Through the atonement I have been saved
from what could have been great heart ache and regret. A scripture story that
always comes to my mind is the story of Alma the younger. I think of the
prayers Alma the Youngers Father had in his behalf along with all of the
righteous people. Alma had spent the first part of his life fighting and
arguing with the church’s teachings. I’m sure he found ways to justify his
behavior. His father Alma knew of his potential he prayed for his son. The
people of the church prayed for him and the sons of Mosiah. After I am sure
much faith and diligence on their behalf Alma finally was able to see truth,
Alma repented and was forgiven after all he had done. Alma accomplished great
things for the church and is scripture hero even after some of the choices he
made. We are capable of the same change of heart. I want you to know that I
know God hears and answers those prayers. Not only has he helped me find my way
back to truth but he has also helped those in which I have prayed for. His plan
is perfect. His plan is real. No problem is to big or small. We are all his
children. The joy that the atonement can bring can not replaced with anything.
It works miracles. It can help us spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Christ
suffered for our sins. He is our advocate. He knows the turmoil we feel, the
physical pain we may have, the emotional scars we have been dealt. He wants to
help us. We just need to have the courage to take that step in his direction.
You owe it to those who love you but more importantly, you owe it to yourself.
We are all sons and daughters of God. He wants us to succeed and he designed a
perfect plan so we can do so.
So why? Why are we so
scared to use something that can better our lives, that can heal relationships,
that can help us forgive, that can make us stronger that can make us more
Christ like. Or as David O McKay once said, “The purpose of the gospel is to
make bad men good and good men better, and to change human nature” I like that
he pointed out good men better. The Atonement is for everyone! Why do we often
wait until we have hurt those we loved, damaged our bodies, lived a life in
sorrow, anger and pain to use the atonement. Do we justify our weaknesses? I
have found in my life any time I have to justify a behavior or choice it will
most always lead to regret. I have heard
people justify their choices by saying it could be worse. If you use that line,
you are headed in a downward spiral. I love the words which Jacob spoke to the
people of Nephi after Nephi’s death. He denounced their love for riches, pride
and unchasity. In Jacob 2:14, “And now, my brethren, do ye suppose that God
justifieth you in this thing? Behold, I say unto you, Nay. But he condemneth
you, and if ye persist in these things his judgments most speedily come unto
you.” If you are justifying a behavior, stop and ask yourself why are you
really avoiding the truth.
Do we avoid
using the atonement because we are
embarrassed or full of pride? Is it because we don’t believe in ourselves? Are
we so trapped that we don’t see the damage it is doing to ourselves and those
around us? None of these feelings come from a very loving and I would like to emphasize understanding Heavenly Father. They come from quite the opposite The adversary
doesn’t want us to see our potential. He knows our weakness. It is so
heartbreaking to watch someone you love and to know of their potential and to
see them held back by things such as sin, pride, fear and insecurities. I am
not pointing the finger. There has been plenty of times in my life where I have
been that person. I have been studying the story of King David. To me it is one
of the most sad stories in the scriptures. Elder Oaks summed the story up
briefly in a general conference address, “Consider the tragic example of King David.
Though a spiritual giant in Israel, he allowed himself to look upon something
he should not have viewed (see 2 Sam. 11). Tempted by what
he saw, he violated two of theTen Commandments, beginning with
“Thou shalt not commit adultery” (Ex. 20:14). In this way a
prophet-king fell from his exaltation (see D&C
132:39).” End quote. I think of how this choice must of haunted
him. Did his choice affect generations? My heart aches for him. Are we to going
to fall from exaltation? We don’t need to. I think
of Lamen and Lemuel. I don’t deny they were faced with much difficulty leaving
their home and things. I am sure there were times they were exhausted and
scared. But instead of turning to God they turned away. They murmured they
complained. Neil A. Maxwell once said, “Thus
Laman and Lemuel did not understand the relationship of mortals with God , and
worse still, they did not really want to understand. They sought to keep their
distance from God.” Do we also try to keep a distance from God? He goes on to
say, “Laman and Lemuel simply didn’t share Nephi’s confidence that the Lord
would never command His children to do difficult things, except the Lord first
prepares the way. In contrast, Nephi, “had a great knowledge of the the
goodness of God hence Nephi’s firm declaration, “I know that God loveth his
children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things. If we love God
and know his goodness we will trust him, even when we are puzzled or perplexed.
We all know and love Nephi. He inspires us.
But is there a part of us that can be like Laman and Lemuel? Do we try and keep
our distance from God. The atonement can be a hard thing to face. Overcoming
weaknesses and having faith in Gods plan and commandments can be intimidating.
Let us not be like Laman and Lemuel. Let us not fall from exaltation as King
David. Let us have trust in the Lord and his plan as Nephi has done. As Moses.
As Alma. I absolutely love the story of the Woman in Luke Chapter 8. The
Woman who was a sinner but sought out Christ even with the mistakes she made.
She saw him in the Pharisee’s home and brought ointment. She stood at his feet
behind him weeping. She washed his feet with her tears and did wipe them with
the hairs of her head and kissed his feet. What courage she must have had. What
humility. she didn’t care what the the others there would think. She knew the
only person who’s thoughts matter was Christ, who is full of love and
understanding. The Pharisee on the other hand, questioned the women and even
questioned Christ. Christ goes on to say in verse 44, “And he turned to the
woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house,
thou gavest me no water for my feet; but she hath washed my feet with tears,
and wiped them with the hairs of her head, though gavest me no kiss, but this
woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. My head with
oil thou didst not anoint; but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, ; are forgiven”. He goes
on to say one of my favorite of all scriptures, simple and true, verse 50,
“And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace” Can you
imagine the joy this humble woman most of felt when Christ told her to go in
peace. He has said the same to us when we repent. Maybe some of you have felt
that same peace as you spoke with a bishop, as you have sincerely prayed for
forgiveness. Never forget that moment hold onto it, treasure it. It was real.
The advisory may try to continue to haunt you with feelings of doubt, maybe
people around you will use your past choices against you as the Pharisees did
to this poor woman. The Pharisee clearly felt some confusion and superiority. I
am guessing his sins weren’t much in comparison to the woman’s. But she was the
one willing to have faith in Christ. She went to him with humility she left
feeling the same joy you and I can felt when we use the atonement. The Pharisee
was the one who didn’t fully understand the atonement. What a beautiful example
she is for all of us. The wonderful thing about the atonement is that it isn’t
seasonal. It doesn’t have an open and close sign. It is here always. No sin no
great, no sorrow to deep, no pain to sever that the atonement doesn’t touch. I
encourage you to listen to the spirit this day. To start the process to better
our lives, our relationships. To truly reach our potential.
I know that the
atonement can heal us physically. Job lost much he lost all his children, his
belongs, he lost his health. The one thing he didn’t lose was his faith in
Christ. He stayed strong and I believe the Lord compensated him for his faith.
He was compensated with more children. I am sure he grew as a person immensely.
Let us be as job. I can remember a time in my life where I felt the atonement
heal me physically. There was a period of time I was struggling with some
health issues. It was scary not knowing, I hurt physically and it was a very
hard period of my life for me but at the same time I have never felt so much
comfort. I remember getting on my knees privately and praying and just crying.
I poured my heart out to my Heavenly Father, I was scared, I didn’t want to
hurt, I wanted to enjoy my children. I immediately felt the comfort and love my
Heavenly Father had for me. Although the pain and fatigue I felt were all still
there I was given the strength to endure. I know I had the lord by my side.
Finally I would like to
touch on that the atonement can help us heal emotionally. Many of us have been
hurt and are trying to learn to deal with the emotional scars of someone elses
agency. Maybe it was hurt we endured as an innocent child, maybe it was pain we
have been dealt by a family member, our marriage, a stranger. Whatever it may
be forgiveness as a huge part of the atonement. I think of Joseph Smith and all of the pain
that he had to endure based on the choices of others. He could not of done that
alone. No person could endure the challenges he was faced and take care of that
burden alone. I am sure he had divine intervention. I know a prayer I always
have answered and is one of my hardest to ask is one to help me understand
someone who has hurt me. Sometimes I feel like I don’t want to forgive someone
who has hurt me. I don’t want to try to love them. But when I pray for
understanding and love to see that person as Christ does. Even if it is just a
sliver I am always granted that gift. It may be just enough to soften my heart
just a bit and to start the process of moving on with out so much anger. It
sounds easier than done, I know. But it can be done. I also want to touch on
forgiveness of ourselves. I went back and forth on sharing this story. It is a
personal one but one I felt I should share. As mentioned earlier, I had
transferred schools right before entering my senior year in college. I didn’t
switch because of a desired degree at a different college. I switched because I
needed to have a change in my life and environment. As a younger youth I fell
away from the church. Partly because of my current circumstances and also
because of my own agency. I carried much hurt with me during that time, some embarrassment,
and confusion. At the same time I learned a lot, I went through some
experiences that help make me who I am today. I hate the thought of my children
having to go through some of those experiences and pray that they will not have
to. It is nothing short of a miracle I am standing here today. I remember
towards the end of my jr. year feeling alone. Feeling frustrated by the choices
of those I cared about around me. Thinking, everyone in the world says these things
will make you happy. It seemed so deceiving. It never ended up that way. And I
was sick of it. For the first time in many years I prayed. I had attended so many different churches
during that time with friends that I don’t even remember my prayer of choice.
But I do know I asked God to help me get out of this. I didn’t like it. It
wasn’t working for me. I needed strength. I didn’t have the Mormon church in
mind even at that time. I had a friend
in Utah who knew where I was going to school in Colorado. We hadn’t talked in quite some time but he had the feeling while in the Temple to contact the missionaries in
my area and send them to me. He followed through with that prompting. The next
week I met with them. I remember being scared and thinking what am I doing. As
I walked into the small Branch building on campus I saw some familiar pictures
on the wall. Your typical ones you see in a building. It was quiet and
peaceful. I remember being overwhelmed with emotion. I was right where I needed
to be. I was finally home. It had been there this whole time. I just hadn’t
realized it. I met with missionaries, I met with the bishop. The load I had,
had been lifted. I didn’t even know I had been carrying it. It wasn’t easy. I had to say
goodbye to relationships I cared about. I lost some lifelong friends who didn’t
understand my choice to switch schools, especially to one which didn’t have my
major I was so close to finishing. I don’t think they even knew I had Mormon in
background. Or what a Mormon was. It was scary. But I went forward with faith.
I know it was through the prayers of those who cared for me both on this earth
on the other side that it was made possible. I wish I could take credit but I
know with out a doubt I did not do that change alone. The atonement is real. I
would like to end by sharing Alma the youngers rejoicing after realizing the
truthfulness of the atonement, “Neverttheless, after wading through much
tribulation, repenting nigh unto death, the Lord in mercy hath seen fit to
snatch me out of an everlasting burning and I am born of God.
My soul hath been
redeemed from the gull of bitterness and bonds of iniquity, I was in the
darkest abyss, but now I behold the marvelous light of God, My soul was racked
with eternal torment; but I am snatched and my soul is pain no more” Mosiah
27:28-29
Let us all experience
the same joy as the Woman who washed Christ feet with her tears. Let us learn
from Alma the younger examples and reach our true potential. The Atonement is
designed to bring us happiness and peace.






No comments:
Post a Comment